Marriage License Applications are issued in the Hancock County Election Office on the 2nd floor of the Hancock County Courthouse. Please be aware that the application process takes approximately twenty to thirty minutes; therefore, please be advised that Marriage License Applications must commence prior to 3:30 p.m. to allow for adequate processing time. The following requirements must be met in order for this office to issue a Marriage License.
Hancock County Residents
- One applicant must be a Resident of Hancock County. If your identification does not show your current address, please bring proof of residency.
- Both applicants must be present.
- Both applicants must have proper, unexpired identification. The following are acceptable forms of identification:
- Federal or State Identification Cards such as an Indiana Drivers License.
- Original or Certified Copy of their Birth Certificates issued by the Health Department. Unfortunately, gift copies from the hospital are not acceptable forms of the Birth Certificate,
- US Passport or Military I.D.
- Both applicants will be asked the following information about their parents: (if known)
- Parent's full name: (First, Middle and Last),
- Mother’s maiden name,
- State in which parents were born.
- If either applicant has previously been married; the date and reason the last marriage ended.
The cost of the application is $20.00 (twenty dollars) payable in cash, money order, cashier’s check, or most major credit cards. There is a $3.50 fee for using debit/credit cards. Please note that the Clerk’s Office does not accept personal checks.
The Marriage License is valid in any county in the State of Indiana for 60 (sixty) days from date of issuance. If the marriage ceremony is not performed within that timeframe, reapplication is required.
Out of State Residents
In addition to the above required information, the following restrictions apply.
- Both applicants must be out-of-state residents.
- The wedding must take place in Hancock County.
- The fee is $62.00 (sixty-two dollars) payable in cash, money order or cashier’s check. Debit/Credit is accepted, however, there is a $3.50 fee for using this method. The Clerk’s Office does not accept personal checks.
Marriage Application On-Line
In order to expedite the application process, please visit the link below to complete the application on-line prior to coming into the office to complete the process. Please note that the application is held in pending status for a limited period of time.